"I'm not sure why, but when a person expects something to last forever, they don't notice the little things. It's only when the clock is ticking all those little things add up and become bigger." Shannon Wiersbitzky, What Flowers Remember
As the year winds down I am so acutely aware of each minute that ticks by. I take stock of what the aging year has produced and what hope the New Year holds. I think about what I've learned, hoping that I have learned a lot of things. I think about how much better off I am now than one year ago and I don't mean in terms of money. What I truly mean is in terms of personal growth and life experiences, which to me is so much more than money. It's the little moments of my life this year that I hope made the biggest impact on my soul and then I think if I can remember all of those little moments maybe they were the big things after all.
"Life is not made up of minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, or years, but of moments. You must experience each one before you can appreciate it." Sarah Ban Breathnach
In the spirit of honoring the year as it takes its final bow out of time I would like to leave you with a few of the moments/memories that have left an imprint on my soul. A trusted colleague calls this his annual review. It's made up of the very personal good and bad moments that made this year stand tall.
Perhaps you have had similar experiences but never thought to really pay them much heed or perhaps you will take these shared moments and watch for them in the new year or perhaps we are all on the same journey through time sharing similar experiences in our own unique perspective. Whichever way you honor the good and the bad of your life moments I hope you are better for them.
The most recent life moment I absolutely honor with grace and awe is the time spent celebrating my daughter's birthday. It wasn't a milestone birthday but it was a celebration of her birth nonetheless and that in itself deserves to make the list of little things.
"So much of life is in the smallness of moments... but they are harder to mark. So we need the grander celebrations and occasions. People like to feel significant." Ally Condie, Atlantia
Glancing over at the large picture window in my office and stopping everything to go sit in the sunshine streaming through.
"As the years pass, I am coming more and more to understand that it is the common, everyday blessings of our common everyday lives for which we should be particularly grateful. Just plain food that gives us strength; the bright sunshine on a cold day; and a cool breeze when the day is warm." Laura Ingalls Wilder, Writings to Young Women from Laura Ingalls Wilder - Volume One: On Wisdom and Virtues
Meeting new people and realizing that their impact on my life, be it good or bad, changed me for the better.
"That's the ideal meeting... once upon a time, only once, unexpectedly, then never again." Helen Oyeyemi
Seeing a hummingbird for the first time in my life.
"Some of my old memories feel trapped in amber in my brain, lucid and burning, while others are like the wing beat of a hummingbird, an intangible, ephemeral blur." Mira Bartok, The Memory Palace
Silently celebrating the day after the first day of winter because for the next 182 days we add one minute of daylight and hope blooms eternal.
"I find it inspiring to actively choose which traditions to celebrate and also come up with new ideas for traditions of my own." Sara Sheridan
Sitting at my favorite coffee shop enjoying the smell while sipping my green tea and writing. I am not a coffee drinker at all but I love a good, old-fashioned, wrap me in warmth coffee shop.
"A smoke, a book, a cup of coffee. These are the little things that get us through this sometimes weary world and all the rainy days." R.M. Engelhardt, The Resurrection Waltz Poems
Window shopping in the winter and seeing all the beautiful colors of the flowers in the flower shop on the most gray, snowy day of the season.
"Somehow, those cold, lifeless winter months had prepared the land for something breathtaking. Something beautiful. Something brimming with life." Katie Ganshert, Wildflowers from Winter
Laughing so hard when I'm supposed to be as quiet as a mouse. Whether it be at my job at the library as an adult or a teenager sitting in my English class I find that those quiet moments are the ones that really spark my uncontrollable laughter.
"Laughter is the shortest distance between two people." Victor Borge
Hearing the perfect song at a time of day when I needed it most.
"Songs remain. They last. The right song can turn an emperor into a laughing-stock, can bring down dynasties. A song can last long after the events and the people in it are dust and dreams are gone. That's the power of songs." - Neil Gaiman, Anansi Boys
Raising my level of gratitude so much higher than I ever imagined it could go but battling still with moments of unhappiness.
"Let gratitude be the pillow upon which you kneel to say your nightly prayer. And let faith be the bridge you build to overcome evil and welcome good." Maya Angelou, Celebrations: Rituals of Peace and Prayer
Understanding the lessons in why it's important to make quality decisions but not yet feeling able to make important decisions in my own life.
"The problem, simply put, is that we cannot choose everything simultaneously. So we live in danger of becoming paralyzed by indecision, terrified that every choice might be the wrong choice." Elizabeth Gilbert, Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage
Continuing to worry about the same problems year after year and finding it so hard to let it go or finding a solution.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." - Matthew 6:25-34 Anonymous, Holy Bible: King James Version
Thank you for your indulgence with my annual review of the little things. I hope it sparked something inside of you to help you take stock of your life this year and highlight what you want to work on and grow in the New Year.
Call to Action
How possible is it to mine each new day of the new year for little life moments, for the little things that flavor life with its sweetness? That is the call to action for you. Find the little things in each new day of the New Year and see how it changes you for the better.
What went well this year?
What did not go well this year?
Where does growth reside for you in the New Year?
What little things became the big thing after all?
Lisa Zaccagnini: Founder of Journey On Coaching

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/8858174

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Top